Thursday, May 14, 2009

P90X

Bring IT!! Hey everyone...I'm Christina, and welcome to my P90X Blog. This blog is a big leap for me into the more technical aspects of computer and Internet use, as I basically know how to turn my laptop on, print things, check my e-mail and be obsessed with Facebook :) However, I have recently embarked on a 90-day journey to transform my body with P90X, and I wanted to provide a day-by-day reflection on the program specifically to benefit all the women out there who are (or who are interested in) the P90X program. There are a LOT of blogs out there for our male P90X friends, and while that's great support (bring it!), I've decided to hop on the band wagon and add another blog to small number out there by the female P90X community. In addition, I have yet to find a blog by a VEGAN female user...so *drumroll* please, here it is! While I realize that the vegan population of people in general is pretty small, and the community of vegan, female P90X users is even smaller (that's one heck of a filter), I hope my information is still beneficial. Here's a little bit about me:
I'm a 23 year-old graduate student studying music (I'm hoping I can blame my artistic nature for my abominable knowledge of technology), but I've been fit and active all my life....just not P90X fit. I grew up first a gymnast and ballerina, studied modern, jazz, tap, and Scottish highland dance for 18 years, and then let music finally take priority sometime in high school when I realized there was NO way I was going to make the height requirement for the Rockettes (bummer). When I got to undergrad, I started working out in a gym. I was always a big fan of elliptical machines, spin classes, and yoga. I'm also a pageant veteran: I competed in the Miss America Organization for 7 years, and ventured into a myriad of strange diets and workout regimens, none of which were very sustainable (though they worked extremely well for my short-term goals). I decided to become a vegan through a process of reading, researching, and more reading on the pros and cons of a vegetarian/vegan lifestyle, the nutrients of dairy and animal products that can be found in natural, plant-based foods, and yes--the disturbing practices of the meat/dairy industry and the (in my opinion) unacceptable treatment of animals. This blog is not going to be me up on a soapbox condemning people who eat meat and touting the benefits of a vegan lifestyle, I promise. Suffice it say that a vegan lifestyle serves me well and I have reaped the benefits. I have more energy, I eat a diet basically free of processed foods, preservatives and chemicals, I DO eat a diet rich in whole grains, soy protein, fruits, vegetables, and yes-a B12 supplement and daily multivitamin. I sleep better, I have a clean body, have noticed a HUGE improvement in my skin and hair, and knocked off weight.

My goals with P90X are to gain strength, flexibility I lost when I quit dancing, stamina so I can cut down my running time, and of course: muscle definition. I'm looking for an overall trim/toned appearance. I don't expect to lose any/much weight as I'm at a healthy weight for my height, and have an athletic build to begin with...I'm not willowy or "thin", I would consider myself compact and sturdy. I will post pictures ASAP and continue to post throughout my journey.

Starting Stats:
Weight: 125
Height: 5'3" (and a half!)

For those that fall into my weight/height category, please be advised that under P90X calculations, I am aiming to eat roughly 1,800 calories a day (and some days I hit this, some days I fall short...it seems like a LOT for a vegan but the program emphasizes how important it is to eat your calculated daily recommendation even if it seems like a lot!). For me, it varies day-to-day: Sometimes I feel ravenous, other days I really struggle to get to 1,600.

I should also say (perhaps obviously) I am not following the nutrition guide that comes with the program. As a vegan, my diet is regimented and restrictive enough so that I don't feel I need to follow the different phases outlined in the program: I've decided it's just important for me to make sure I'm getting enough protein, and eating complex carbohydrates. I will note that I am trying to restrict carbs after about 4pm so that my last meal of the day is lean protein and veggies...but I'm human, this does not always happen. I will mention products here and there that work for me that are vegan-friendly (and no, I'm not being subsidized to promote specific products: I wish!!!)

A cool website to checkout is my friend Matt's: He's a hardcore P90Xer and got me interested in the program. His blog is great for general information, and of course--for guys following the program. He's also a beachbody coach (something I am not). His website is www.fitness.mattkush.com check it out!

Alright, Here we go!!

1 comment:

  1. I like your blog! I'm a vegetarian but some day hope to be a full vegan. I love cheese too much.. haha! I'm thinking about starting P90x but am wondering about getting enough protein. Do you use protein shakes? I've tried one called Vega. It's Vegan. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete