Monday, May 18, 2009

Day 9: Plyometrics

*sigh* Plyometrics.....I'm not intentionally trying to be negative, but I don't really enjoy this workout. I love intensity, so it's not that aspect of it (it's SUPER effective for getting your heart rate up), but Tony Horton is right when he says it's out-of-fashion. Jump training is VERY hard on the knees, shins, and joints in general. And...if you do the modified moves, it's not that intense. Anyway...I think a good hard-core workout is just as good, but I'll continue to do Plyo. I just don't really enjoy it the way I do a good run, or Kenpo, or some other kind of cross-training.

Today...I felt wasted by the second set in. My legs were super shaky and, like last week, my heart-rate was too high. I wonder what I can do about that...I don't feel like I overwork right off the bat, I definitely try to stay in a warm-up mode until I feel ready to start bringing it. Hopefully this workout gets better for me, I want it to remain challenging, but without the 'heart going to leap out of my chest' drop dead of a heart-attack feeling...and remember, I'm not "out of shape" or overweight! goodness! How do people do this workout that have quite a bit of weight to lose!? (picturing my beloved big sis right now in all of her post-baby glory trying to do this workout...sometimes it doesn't seem like its actually for real people!!)

Okay, onto one of my favorite workouts tomorrow: Shoulders and Arms with Ab Ripper X!!


A word about my nutrition...
--a lot of people have been asking me how I get my protein. *sigh* people! listen up! meat is not the ONLY source of protein. In fact, Americans eat meat in terrible excess and get a ton of pesticides, hormones ( cruelty) and god knows what along with their protein. I get my protein from: soy milk, soy protein powder, tofu, quinoa (ancient amazing grain the aztecs used to measure as heavily as gold for its richness of nutrients), red-blue-navy-black peans, and soybeans (edamame, boca products, etc). Trust me, I get healthy protein...in all of its organic natural wonderfulness :)

one other note....I have become a water fiend. If you're doing P90X, you NEED a ton of water...at least 96oz. a day. In addition...you need water anyway if you're trying to lose weight. Not only does it flush actual fat and toxins out of your body, it does amazing things for your skin (so does being a vegan. Sorry...I promised I wouldn't do this. Go start by reading 'Skinny Bitch' if you're interested in a vegan lifestyle. But please read more than just that...its a good jumping off point).

Cheers!

3 comments:

  1. One of the most important tips of the day, even though it seems silly: "Think like a cat"

    Although Plyometrics is out of fashion and hard on the joints, the stress/impact are heavily reduced and nearly eliminated if you make soft landings with smooth controlled contact. When you land, think: Toe, Heel, Ankle, Knee, Hip and you'll soon realize just how soft of a landing you can make. Also, if you have a carpetted room, or use your yoga mat, it helps big time.

    Don't give up on Plyo, it's the 2nd hardest workout, but quite possibly the most meaningful (in terms of calories burned and muscles built)!

    Oh and by the way, welcome to P90X! 1 week in. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found your blog and LOVE IT. Glad that there are more ladies out there p90Xing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete